These gluten-free muffins are a great part of a healthy breakfast. Try adding more carrots, raisins, some shredded apple, or any chopped nut for a denser, more nutritious treat.
Makes 1- 1 1/2 dozen muffins.
- 2 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup organic date sugar (puréed dates) or fruit purée or stevia drops
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2-1 cup raisins, soaked for 10 minutes in 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil muffin tins or line with paper muffin cups.
- In large bowl combine the buckwheat flour, tapioca flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, and spices. Mix well.
- Place apple sauce into a separate bowl and add the melted coconut oil, vanilla, carrots, and raisins; whisk together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix together being careful not to over mix.
- Spoon batter into oiled muffin tins. Bake at 375 degree F for about 25-30 minutes. Loosen sides with a knife and gently take out of tins and place onto a wire rack to cool.
Adapted from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook, 2nd Edition
Leave a comment