A delicious way to use many of the beautiful Spring vegetables in a savory dish with lots of leftovers. Add your favorite protein and you have a beautiful meal.
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 Baby carrots or 2 carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup snow peas
- 6 radishes, including 1/2 inch of the stems, halved
- 18 3-inch asparagus tips
- 6 scallions, including the stems, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 2 broccoli stems, thickly peeled and sliced diagonally
- 4 small turnips, or 2 rutabagas and 2 turnips, peeled and cut into sixths
- 4 tablespoons pastured butter
- 4 thyme sprigs, preferably lemon thyme
- 1 tbls fresh lemon juice
- 10 sorrel leaves, sliced into ribbons, optional
- 1 tbls snipped chives
- 2 tsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp chopped tarragon
Bring 3 quarts water to a boil and add 1 tbls sea salt. One type at a time, blanch the vegetables until barely tender, then remove to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. When all are blanched reserve 1 cup of the cooking water. Drain the vegetables (this can be done ahead of time).
In a wide skillet, melt the butter with the thyme sprigs and reserved liquid. Add the vegetables and simmer until they’re warmed through. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the sorrel and herbs and cook for 1 minute more. Serve at once.
Leave a comment