Moroccan Vegetable Stew with Harissa Paste
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced fresh Garlic
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 cup peeled and diced Roma Tomatoes
5 cups Vegetable Stock
2 cups peeled and cubed turnips
1 1/2 cups peeled and sliced carrots
1 Parsley bouquet garni
1 1/2 cups peeled and cubed Butternut Squash
2 cups chopped Cabbage
1 cup canned Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 2/3 cups Quinoa
3 cups boiling water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Harissa Paste
1/2 cup dried red chili peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
pinch of ground cumin
pinch of ground coriander
pinch of caraway seed
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
pinch of salt
Step By Step:
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until translucent. Add Garlic, turmeric, and tomato and cook for 2 more minutes.
2. Add half of the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Add turnips, carrots and parsley bouquet (wrap parsley sprigs in a cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine). Bring back to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Add garbanzo beans, Cinnamon sticks, salt, pepper, and remaining stock. Bring back to a simmer and cook 10 to 15 more minutes.
3. Place uncooked Quinoa in a large bowl. Pour in boiling water and salt and stir briefly. Cover bowl with lid to trap steam. Let sit for 10 minutes. Remove cover and fluff with a fork.
4. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup broth from stew with1 teaspoon harissa paste. Serve 1/2 cup Quinoa with 1 1/4 cups vegetable stew and top with 2 tablespoons of harissa broth.
1. In a small bowl, pre-soak dried chiles in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain and chop chiles into a fine pulp and combine with olive oil in a small bowl. Add seasoning and salt. Mix well.